Am I entitled to unemployment compensation?
The conditions of entitlement are:
- A fully completed contribution period or exemption from the contribution period
- Full or partial unemployment
- Suffering a loss of employment that can be counted towards entitlement
- Swiss residence
- The obligatory school education period must have been completed
- You may not have already reached AHV age nor may you be drawing an AHV old age pension
- You must be available for work
- The supervision requirements must be fulfilled
Completion of the contribution period
Normally you are entitled to compensation from the unemployment insurance if you have been employed for at least 12 months during the last 2 years (basic period for the contribution period) before your registration with the RAV.
Example: Registration with the RAV on 01.04.2011
In order to qualify, you must have worked for at least 12 months in the period from 01.04.2009 - 31.03.2011.
Periods of employment abroad (EU/EFTA) can be counted subject to certain conditions.
Bringing up a child of under 10 or qualifying self-employment can extend the basic period for the contribution period, i.e. a longer period than the last two years before registration can be considered.
Exemption from the contribution period
If the contribution period is missing, you are insured if you could not be employed for more than 12 months on account of:
- training, retraining or further training, if you have resided in Switzerland for 10 years (except persons who have completed vocational apprenticeships: they have paid ALV contributions and therefore are counted with persons who have completed their contribution period in full)
- illness, accident or maternity if you have been resident in Switzerland during this period
- confinement to a Swiss institution
- work-related stay of over one year outside an EU/EFTA country
You are also insured without having paid contributions if you are obliged to take up or extend dependent gainful employment on account of one the following events, if the event did not occur more than one year earlier and you were resident in Switzerland when the event occurred:
- Death or invalidity of your spouse or for similar reasons
- Discontinuance of a disability pension